- 6 ounces feta cheese
- 2 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 2/3 cup olive oil, divided
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
- 2 tbsp minced shallots (about 2)
- 2 tsp minced garlic (2 cloves)
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 lbs ripe cherry tomatoes, 1/2 inch-diced
- 3 tbsp fresh basil leaves, cut julienne
- 20-25 diagonal slices baguette, toasted
- 2 tbspn toasted pine nuts
Place feta and cream cheese in food processor, pulse till mixed. Add 1/3 cup olive oil, lemon juice, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper, process till smooth.
Up to an hour before you are ready to serve, combine shallots, garlic and vinegar in medium bowl. Set aside for fie minutes. Whisk in the remaining 1/3 cup oil, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Add the tomatoes, stir gently, set aside for 10 minutes. Stir in the basil and test for seasoning.
Toast the bread: cut bread, brush with olive oil, bake at 425 for 6-8 minutes (lightly browned).
Spread each slice of bread with a generous amount of whipped feta. Use slotted spoon, add the tomatoes. Place on plates and scatter with the toasted pine nuts. Sprinkle with extra basil and serve.