Baked Brie with Caramelized Pear
- 1 (8 oz/250 g) round Brie cheese
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) sliced hazelnuts or slivered almonds, toasted
- Caramelized pear:
- 2 tsp (10 mL) butter
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 pear, thinly sliced
- Pinch each salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) white wine
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) brandy
- 2 tsp (10 mL) chopped fresh thyme, (or 1/2 tsp/2 mL dried)
- 2 tsp (5 mL) packed brown sugar
In nonstick skillet, melt butter over medium heat; fry shallot, pear, salt and pepper until shallot is softened, about 5 minutes.
Add pear juice, brandy, thyme and sugar; bring to boil. Boil, stirring occasionally, until no liquid remains and pear is softened, about 5 minutes.
(Make-ahead: Let cool. Refrigerate in airtight container for up to 24 hours.)
Place brie on foil or parchment-lined pie plate or in small cake pan; top with pear mixture.
Bake in 350°F (180°C) oven until cheese is softened, about 10 minutes.
Let stand for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with nuts.